5660 Greenwood Plaza Blvd, Suite 445 Greenwood Village, CO 80111

Marriage-Based Residency

Immigration lawyers in Colorado.
Whether you are a citizen of the United States or a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR), you can help your significant other apply for a marriage green card and start living your life together in the U.S. At Barringer Law Firm, we want to help reunite and secure your loved one’s right to lawful residency in the U.S. Our team of immigration lawyers are ready to help you and your spouse through the marriage-based residency process.

How The Marriage Residency Process Works:

An individual can either be a U.S. citizen or a Green Card holder to apply for their spouse to live in the United States. To start the process, the petitioner must:

Once the forms and supporting documents have been submitted, the next step is for you and your spouse to participate in a formal immigration interview. The interview process is the last big step towards obtaining a marriage-based residency. Be prepared to answer questions about your relationship, and show your marriage license and additional documentation. The timeline for processing a marriage green card will vary but typically take up to 2 years if the petitioner lives in the United States and up to 3 years if the petitioner lives abroad.

Marriage Residency Factors & Visas

K-3 Visas

Additional Factors

  • If you have been married less than two years when your spouse is granted permanent resident status, your spouse will receive permanent resident status on a conditional basis. To remove the conditions of residence, you and your spouse can submit Form I-751.

Applying for marriage-based residency can be an overwhelming process. However, with the help of our immigration lawyers, it doesn’t have to be. If you or your spouse have questions about the process or want help preparing for your immigration interview, contact Barringer Law Firm to talk to a knowledgeable immigration lawyer.